Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Developing New Relationships

Developing New Relationships

There is no such thing as a first-time, low-ball, trial price that ever migrates to higher prices. If you want to get the value you deserve, start by asking yourself a few questions:
  • Is this the right customer? Will they appreciate the value we provide? Do I really want them as a customer?
  • If so, do I truly know what is of value to this prospect? Did I listen?
  • Have I done the best job I can in articulating and demonstrating the value the prospect will receive?
  • Did I discover how important this assignment is to the prospect and his company? In other words, do I know the impact of this assignment on the prospect?
  • And last, but not least, do we (everyone in our company) understand and believe that we do provide a service that offers more value to our customers? Can each of us articulate it? Are we really selling the filet or just tacos? After all, it is just cow, right? (Watch the video again!)
Maintaining Existing Relationships

Unfortunately, we too often take existing customers for granted. We assume that because we have worked with them for months or even years, they understand the value we provide. But ask yourself:
  • Do I truly know what my customer thinks of the value I provide to him? When was the last time I asked? Is there a legitimate service hiccup?
  • Have I sat down with my customer to walk through what we are doing? Have I made it clear how we are adding value?
  • Is there a missing person (CEO, CIO, CFO) who is looking only at my invoices and does not feel or see my value? How can I be certain s/he is getting the full picture, before the invoices show up on his desk?
  • Is there a new dynamic that has developed since I began working with the customer, e.g. a new, cheaper competitor?
  • Am I doing only the work that needs to be done? Are there activities, tasks, or parts of the project that made sense three months ago, but no longer are what is best for the customer?
  • In the end, whether we are talking about a new customer or an existing one, it all comes down to, "If I were the customer would I feel that I was getting value for the product/service we're providing?"

Content Credit given to Jill Konrath-"Selling to Big Customers" newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment